Wednesday, January 6, 2010

You Give me Money for Photo

Saturday, January 2 – As we were winding our way through the walking tour, we happened upon one intersection occupied by a gaggle of pushy fruit sellers. They had a scheme to sell their fruit. Once they found me – an unsuspecting foreigner – they insisted that I carry a couple of fruit baskets on my shoulder, and pointed at Junkii to take photos of me. All of this was great fun until they removed the basket and handed me a bag of pineapple and insisted that I buy it.

No, thanks. Don’t want any. They gave some to Junkii too, but we both stood our ground and refused the fruit. Then they started to get upset and insisted that we should, at the very least, pay them for the photo-op.

Neither of us was inclined to give in since they hadn’t really asked us first – they had just approached us and plunked their baskets on my shoulders.

Still, the Vietnamese are very nice, and while they may act offended, they quickly saw we weren’t going to pay and moved on to other prey.


No comments:

Post a Comment