Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Travelling with a Cold

Tuesday, January 5 – I developed a sneezy, runny nose upon landing in Hanoi, and it’s getting frustrating. Every time I blow my nose, I sneeze again and the cycle starts over. It makes me grumpy and that doesn’t make for a good travel companion.

I try to stay upbeat, but thankfully Junkii has seen me sick often enough to know what to expect. The silver lining? The cold should be on its way out before I get on the long plane ride home on Thursday.

Oh my god? Is it time to go home already? Today we’re heading back to Malaysia for two nights before the long haul. These last two days will be packed. The plan is to get to Ipoh for dinner tonight and stay overnight there so we can say a proper farewell to Junkii’s parents. Then we head back to KL tomorrow and have dinner with Junkii’s siblings, who have bent over backwards to help make our visit one to remember.

If we’re lucky, we’ll also get in one last visit with Junkii’s best friend from high school – a drink or two to say “so long.”

So we leave this leg of the tour – Vietnam – having seen a good portion of the country. The big metropolises of Ho Chi Minh City (A bustling modern landscape) and Hanoi (A charming and old-fashioned Asian city with winding, narrow streets crammed with cyclos and motos), as well as the coastal areas of Nha Trang (A beach Paradise) and Ha long Bay (An otherworldly oasis). It’s good we’ve seen as much as we have though, because as much as we liked it, we probably won’t be back to Vietnam. There are too many other countries to see and we both feel that we know this country well enough now. Although we will miss the fantastic food culture here, and the bia hoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment